To complete this task, you will be divided into groups of 4 by your teacher. As a group, you are to prepare responses to the following and present them to your teacher in the form of a group meeting to demonstrate you understand the importance of occupational health and safety in the work place.
- Find out where each of the fire extinguishers are in the AICM building and be able to describe their position to your group members.
- Without releasing any of the contents of the extinguisher, explain and demonstrate how you would use the fire extinguishers available in the buidling.
- Describe how you would you would respond to a fire emergency you discovered in the CCDA building. That should include advising the emergency services and helping people out of the building and to the assembly point.
- With a partner, demonstrate how you would lift and move the CCDAS’s bass amplifier (> 20kg).
- Demonstrate how you would lift and move one of the CCDA’s monitors and computers.
- Find a piece of electrical equipment in the CCDA and check on the currency of its tag.
- As an employee/trainee/student, what rules should apply to the use of alcohol in the work place?
- Explain briefly the CCDA’s bullying policy.
- What safety sinage is evident in the CCDA building?
Where possible, the student is to answer each of the following questions in complete sentences.
|Element 1 – Follow safe work practices
- What does the legislation that governs workplace practices require all organisations involved in the entertainment to do (4 points required)?
- Describe the following:
- Risk assessment
- Safety induction
- An MSDS
- List five points you would observe prior to using leads or cables in the entertainment industry.
- List four points you would address prior to using a ladder to install song lighting.
- What does the law say about safety signs in the workplace?
- Name three safety signs that you are likely to see in the entertainment industry workplaces.
- In the workplace both the employer, the employee and a self-employed person have a duty of care to all people on the work site. Write three points that describe the role of each.
- Effective communication and consultation will reduce the risk of damage to the working environment and to those involved. – True or False and explain your answer.
|Element 2 – Maintain personal safety standards
- Repeated exposure to high sound levels can cause irreversible hearing damage. Write a paragraph that explains the significance of the use of hearing protection in the entertainment industry and how you may address the requirements.
- Many workers in the entertainment industry rely on their voice to make their living. What might employees and employers do to ensure that vocal strain or fatigue occurs?
- Write a paragraph that explains how you would lift an amplifier that is suitable to be lifted by an individual.
- Explain how good house keeping might help maintain a hazard free work environment.
- Find the website for the following organisations on the internet:
- Australian Entertainment Industry Association (AEIA)
- Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA)
- Find the website of the government department in your state that is responsible for OHS.
- Australian Safety and Compensation Council
|Element 3 – Assess risks
- The main purpose of reporting an incident or hazard is to identify and eliminate the risks associated with the incident or hazard and prevent it from re-occurring. List 8 points that support that statement:
- In a situation where a risk cannot be eliminated, What series of 5 steps would you take to reduce the risk associated with a specific activity?
- What emergency information and procedures should you be aware of in order to manage risk in your workplace?
- Why is it important to submit an accident/incident report as soon as possible after an accident/incident has occurred?
- To whom should you report any breaches of health, safety and security procedures?